Today we’re going to talk about Fodmap stacking – what it is and how to avoid it.
First, let’s get a little background understanding. Fodmap stacking is when you consume multiple servings of low Fodmap foods that individually contain Fodmaps, but in quantities that are considered safe. However, when these foods are combined, the Fodmaps can add up and cause symptoms.
For example, let’s say you have a salad that includes a serving of capsicum, a serving of broccoli, and a serving of cucumber. Individually, each of these foods is low Fodmap in the recommended serving size. However, each of these foods have the FODMAP Fructose in common, so when combined in a salad (or “stacked”), it becomes high FODMAP for fructose.
So, how can you avoid Fodmap stacking? Here are some practical tips:
1. Keep a food diary:
By keeping track of the foods you eat and the symptoms you experience, you can identify any patterns of Fodmap stacking and adjust your meals accordingly.
2. Follow recommended serving sizes:
Be mindful of the recommended serving sizes for low Fodmap foods and try not to exceed them in a single meal.
3. Choose foods with different Fodmaps: Instead of combining multiple servings of foods with the same Fodmap, try to include a variety of low Fodmap foods that contain different Fodmaps in your meals. For example, cheese contains Lactose, while Tomato contains Fructose and Avocado contains Sorbitol.
4. Eat smaller, more frequent meals: Eating smaller meals more frequently throughout the day can help prevent Fodmap stacking by spreading out your intake of Fodmap-containing foods.
6. Be mindful of high Fodmap ingredients: Be aware of high Fodmap ingredients like garlic, onion, and honey that are often used in recipes. Look for low Fodmap alternatives or use them sparingly.
7. Consult with a healthcare professional: If you’re struggling with Fodmap stacking, consider working with an Accredited Practising Dietitian specialising in the low FODMAP diet who can help you develop a personalised plan that works for you.
Remember, Fodmap stacking can be tricky, but with a little awareness and planning, it’s possible to avoid it and enjoy a variety of delicious low Fodmap meals. Keep these tips in mind and don’t hesitate toelicious low Fodmap meals. Keep these tips in mind and don’t hesitate to seek professional help if you need it. Bon Appetit!